The Big Smack Himself.

My photo
Peoria, IL, United States
I created this blog to help my students find new inspirational artists and works, all while strengthening their interest and pride in their work and themselves as artists. :D i'm also an aspiring artist myself.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Amy Casey - Painting



the artist
http://www.cia.edu/blog/?p=936


Artist: Amy Casey
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Medium: Painting, Printmaking

A trip to Chicago with Heather Brammeier, painting professor at Bradley University, saw a couple of graduate students and Bachelor's of Fine Arts degree gallery hopping one day. Heather took us to some of her favorite galleries, and one in particular represents Ms. Amy Casey.

The ZG Gallery had an exhibition of Amy's work hanging that day. There is something about Amy's work that just intrigues me. Could it be the muted palette of colors she utilizes or maybe the unconventional use of the buildings. Whatever the reason, I was happy to find out that Heather was also attracted to Amy's work.

ZG Gallery printed a small book of her imagery and I jumped at the chance to purchase it. With my purchase, the gallery stuck a simple sticker with her signature in my copy and I felt like I had just received an autograph from a rock star.

From her artist statement, Amy describes her work as an extension of a series of dreams she had. Not wanting to depict her dream exactly, she evokes the feeling felt within them.

Here's what she had to say:

"For about the last eight years, I've been experiencing a sporadically recurring dream about the end of the world. Animals stampeding and buildings falling into dust around me. I wake in panic and with a heavy sense of inevitability...

...I think that like my dream, my paintings reflect my view of the nervous state of affairs the world seems to be in."

-Amy Casey

Read he entire statement here: writings on the wall

Check out the rest of her work! I'm sure you'll find them just as intriguing as I do.


Now onto some of my favorites:



an abundance of caution, 2008
22" x 30"


big cities, small towns, 2009
41" x 54"


keeping it together, 2009
36" x 50"


safety in numbers, 2007
22.5" x 19.5"




No comments:

Post a Comment